Welcome to Granny's Baby Blog

Great place to blog about all things concerning babies, toddlers and young children.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Learning to Read

My nine year old granddaughter is a great reader. She is in fourth grade and is reading at a ninth grade level. She loves books. I am convinced that the time her parents took while she was just a baby and toddler to read to her was one of their greatest investments to her future. She reads a variety of books and I know she will always do well in school because of her love of reading. There are so many ways you can help your child learn to love books and reading. The pop-up books were always a hit with my grandchildren. Connecting words with pictures was a great learning tool at a very early age. Books with colorful pictures that depict the story are great. Reading to your child also can associate reading with comfort to them. Snuggling together and reading a book to your child can be very comforting. Years ago, with my youngest son, I spent a lot of time with him on the alphabet and reading to him. I believe that as a result of this time well spent, he became a good reader and did well in school.

No comments: